For the first time since 1992, the World Heavyweight Championship was on the line in a Royal Rumble match. Roman Reigns, who has faced a whole host of adversity was the champion when the match began. It was almost his fate that he was to lose this match.
Some may have seen this coming, some may have been blindsided completely. When you really think about it, there were only a few outcomes of the Royal Rumble 2016; either Brock Lesnar, HHH or Reigns himself were going to win.
Why? This goes back a few weeks ago at TLC in December. Reigns had decimated HHH and it was the last we’d heard from the King of Kings since then (if you don’t count NXT, anyway).
Lesnar has a history with both HHH and Reigns, with the feud with H stemming as early as 2012. Reigns had an encounter with The Beast at Wrestlemania 31 last year. Basically, there’s history between the three men. If it wasn’t going to be one, it was definitely going to be the other.
Fastlane & Wrestlemania 32
We now know that it’ll be Dean Ambrose, Reigns and Lesnar in a triple threat at Fastlane. Heading into ‘Mania, we now have a bunch of different options when it comes to opponents. Here’s a few scenarios for the Fastlane triple threat:
- If Reigns comes out on top at Fastlane (which seems likely), he’ll be able to regain his spot as champion and get his commupance from The Authority
- If Ambrose wins, Dean’ll get elevated into the highest position of his career thus far
- Should Lesnar win, we’ll get another HHH/Lesnar match, one I’m certain NOBODY wants to see AGAIN
- However, should Lesnar lose, he also has the option of entering a feud with the Wyatt Family (another likely scenario)
- Ambrose losing wouldn’t be a huge detriment to his spot as the Kevin Owens feud appears to be an ongoing angle
Either way, everybody wins. There’s a spot open for everyone and HHH continues to bury another opponent on the Grandest Stage of Them All.
“But wait”, you say, “you said that HHH winning is ‘best for business'”. Of course. H is one of the company’s biggest draws. Regardless of the outcome at Fastlane, the match will undoubtedly contain two of the company’s biggest stars. Whether that’s Reigns, Lesnar or Ambrose.
That was fun. Let’s do it again sometime.